Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: jap six pot

Total Downloaded
    81.04 MB

Re: jap six pot

Quote Originally Posted by kevscrivener View Post
    I'm not by any means an authority on hydraulics Colin, but I don't think it's quite that simple. As I understand it, it takes less effort to move six smaller pistons than it does one big one. A common modification on the ATE braking system fitted to my BMW R100RS involves sleeving the master cylinder down rather than fitting a bigger one, which would indicate the reverse of what you're suggesting.

If there's anyone contributing on here who can explain this in layman's terms I'd be grateful.
    It's all about hydraulic advantage and fluid displacement, in theory if the combined calliper piston area is 10 times bigger than the size of the master cylinder then you magnify the force being applied by the lever 10 times. There are other things that come into play though. Length of lever, pivot point, type of connecting pipe etc. Down side is that you also need calliper piston retraction when the brake is at rest and some degree of progressive feel. The advantage with multiple piston callipers is that the force is being applied over a greater pad area, thus more friction. Materials also have an an impact on stopping.....as a good example the old chrome British disks of the 70's, looked nice but wouldn't stop you until the chrome fell off. HTH
    Sussex Coaster

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

my old Z1R Kwacka had teflon discs coz F^*k all would stick to em if you wanted to stop put your boots on the deck

Total Downloaded
    47.21 MB

Got 'em on my Road king, huge difference. Tokico 6 pots cheap and plentiful on ebay . A few nights in the shed with pillar drill, hacksaw and file to fab up some brackets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0675[1].jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12