Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 62 Duo Glide

Total Downloaded
    12.37 MB

Just bought a 62 Duo Glide

Good evening all. As the heading suggests I’m now the proud owner of a 62 Pan. Looking like it may be a learning curve.
    Firstly, I’m thinking electronic ignition, yay or nay? If yay which one?
    Secondly , anyone have a suggestion for improving the awful front brake.
    How do I stop it wet sumping?
    I’m sure there’ll be plenty more questions in the months to come, but I’m sure that’ll be enough to start with.
    Thanks Gary

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    40.66 MB

Re: Just bought a 62 Duo Glide

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz1 View Post
    Good evening all. As the heading suggests I’m now the proud owner of a 62 Pan. Looking like it may be a learning curve.
    Firstly, I’m thinking electronic ignition, yay or nay? If yay which one?
    Secondly , anyone have a suggestion for improving the awful front brake.
    How do I stop it wet sumping?
    I’m sure there’ll be plenty more questions in the months to come, but I’m sure that’ll be enough to start with.
    Thanks Gary
    Welcome to the madhouse Gary. Excellent choice of machine, never owned a Pan but got some experience with 45's and Shovels.

To answer your questions in order;

Electronic ignition; my personal view is that the original points setup is fine if properly maintained. If your bike is still stock 6 volt then there's far more work involved of course, as I don't think anyone does a 6 volt electronic system. others will probably be able to give you more info on currently available setups; one thing i will say is that it is good practice to renew the whole lot, wiring and all, if you're going to go down that road. Old tech and new don't mix.

Front brake; get some decent linings fitted and have them properly arced. I use this bloke for mine;

http://www.industrialfriction.com/

Wet sumping. Ride the damn thing! Seriously, make sure that the check valve is clean and well seated, a new ball bearing and spring might help, but all old Harleys wet sump if you leave them for long enough.

And we'd love to see some pics of your bike in the Vintage Section's "Show us your Old Girls" thread.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by kevscrivener; 03-11-2019 at 05:51 PM.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    28.33 MB

Congratulations, 62 Duo is a fantastic bike.

Ive never bothered with electronic ignition, but my mate Alex has this on his '60... http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

it does work with 6V or 12, and is a good setup.

If you're on Facebook there's an excellent Panhead community I recommend you join.

Enjoy and if you need any help just yell.
    Boris

Total Downloaded
    12.37 MB

Hi Kev, thanks for the imput. I certainly intended to ride it, just as long as I can master the art of starting the bloody thing.
    Pretty sure it’s mostly original, so I’m assuming it’s still 6 volt. How easy is it to convert it?
    Will get the front brake looked at and maybe send it to the firm you’ve suggested.
    Ill try and take a few pictures tomorrow.
    Cheers Gary

Total Downloaded
    12.37 MB

Hi Boris, thanks for the tips. You posted as I was answering Kev’s post. I’ll look into the Facebook page.
    Just checked out the electronic ignition you recommended, typically mine is the twin points setup and therefore the most expensive.
    Cheers Gary.
    Last edited by Gaz1; 03-11-2019 at 07:34 PM.

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB

points and condenser ,,i use the bright spark electronic condenser,,

first kick everytime,, the brake is not good but i have another setoff shoes that i will try this coming year of a different material

the back brakes works Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_8a.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	33472 ell so not all bad
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    812.18 MB

Gary here is the Facebook Classic Panhead page below. Greg Lew who runs the page knows Boris and myself and he did a great write up in the August Quin. See here from page 22.
    Below you will find everything you will ever need to know on Panheads.
    On your first post mention to Greg that you are in the H-DRCGB with Boris and BaZa.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/140053306131150/
    Last edited by BaZa; 03-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.

Total Downloaded
    3.85 MB

Hi Gary. Welcome to the Vintage section.If you go on the Panhead and Flathead site, there are downloads of the manuals, parts manuals and wiring diagrams. Boris is your man for Pans as his handle suggests. Enjoy riding it which is the main thing. Get a copy of Palmers , How to restore your Harley its a good reference book . Cheers Leigh
    East Mids. Asst. Rep. Vintage Secretary

Total Downloaded
    12.11 MB

Gary has posted a photo in the regions Vintage page under "Show us your old girls".

Total Downloaded
    28.33 MB

Hi Gary

Re front brake - while looking at shoes, I'd recommend checking / dressing drum - if you have a lathe, or access to one,the Club has the factory arbor in Loan Tools - I've used this a couple of times to good effect....however the front brake is never going to be great ...I would also ensure the rear one is 100%...this IS a very good brake, and will stop the Glide - at risk of telling you to suck eggs, check rear shoes / drum, flush with fresh fluid, and adjust both cams.

Re hard starting - a stock '62 setup, tuned by the book should be a really easy start from hot or cold. Dual points is a bit of a faff, but straight forward....Difficulty starting is usually caused by poor seal on inlet manifold to heads ...if you have stock Linkert carb it needs a bit of tweaking to handle modern (shit quality) fuel - rubber ducky float cures all manner of probs ...

If you PM me you email address I can mail you PDF of Factory Manual ...

As Topper says, Palmer is useful book ...also these 2 are well worth tracking down...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0214[1].jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	33477
    Boris

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast