Thread: 2000 FXSTS Engine build.

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 FXSTS Engine build.

After speaking to my good friend Geoff about fitting gear driven cams to my bike for a bit more overtaking performance, he mentioned that he still had all the parts of an older build he had done in one of his many tool draws in his garage.

Now the can of worms has been opened.....

So I’ve now acquired a (little used) Axtell 97” big bore kit from him. It compromises of Axtell 97” cylinders, JE 97M 402357 Pistons and Hot Shot Motorworks Pro-Flow Heads. Valves: Intake 1.900”. Exhaust 1.615. He used Crane HTC 296-2 cams (which have a .619 lift and a duration of Intake: 246. Exhaust: 254) in his build. He also ran .040 Head gaskets and .020 Base gaskets.
    I remember going for a Dyno run with a 1550 Glide I had put together in 2007 and Geoff had come along with me. I talked him into putting his “Axtell” Softail onto the dyno. It recorded 100 / 100 on the dyno. He later decided to up his engine size and took the Axtell kit off. The kit has been lingering in the dark recesses of his garage waiting to be rescued by someone for the last 12 years.

I have cleaned everything up and have now just about completed the buying of cam chest parts.
    What I have so far:

S&S Drive gears, S&S TC3 Cam plate & Oil Pump + the tensioners block off kit.
    S&S EZ Adjustable Pushrods and corresponding pushrod covers.
    Johnson - Hylift Lifters. A new set of Torrington B-148 Inner cam bearings.
    New complete Cometic gasket set. I have ordered separate head gaskets for the 97” kit.

I am going with a Mikuni HSR 42 carb and Daytona TwinTec 1008 Ignition.

I still need to buy the Cam Plate Bearings. Oh... and a 2 into 1 performance exhaust although that will have to wait until funds become available.

I have also purchased a set of Ultima Roller Rockers that have a lift of 1.675 as opposed to the standard 1.625 lift rockers. I’m not sure what problems this may cause with piston / valve interface, but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

We CC’ed the heads on Sunday and they were both at 87.5.

I can put things together, but Geoff is the engineer. He has worked out (using various head scratching equations) that the compression ratio should be around 10.47 – 1.

Due to work restraints, I won’t be starting the build until the Christmas holidays when I have two weeks off work. So I have a bit of time to change things if anyone has suggestions.

Can anyone advise me on anything I have missed out, and / or advice on this build.

Cheers, Mick.
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2000 FXSTS Engine build.

Sounds good Mick, 100/100 are respectable numbers, and you have real world feedback from the previous use of the kit which being your friend is very useful, obviously the runout figures for the crank need to be right for the gear drive, piston/valve interference, coil bind etc needs checking, modelling Clay can be used to check interference, should be a fun time sorting that. Dave

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We haven't checked the runout yet as I'm still using the bike. If it's not within tolerences I'll go with chain driven cams. Got the clay ready just in case. I'm thinking about getting the bike Dyno-ed before I start to have a baseline figure. It has no service history or any history for that matter as it was imported from the States earlier this year. It has been stage 1 - ed as it has a free flow breather and is running V&H longshots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1960.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	33479
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Total Downloaded
    653.85 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Helmetbolt View Post
    After speaking to my good friend Geoff about fitting gear driven cams to my bike for a bit more overtaking performance, he mentioned that he still had all the parts of an older build he had done in one of his many tool draws in his garage.......
    Cheers, Mick.
    This is my S&S gear drive and 510G cams fitted at about 40k...
    ...the photo is from a couple of weeks ago at 104k
    Also got a Feuling oil pump.
    I also went with a Mikuni HSR 42 carb

My TC had a large run out of my crank that H-D UK seem to just accept, not a patch on the previous EVO engine crank run-out! I said that the bike was stripped down at Full Bore Motorcycles Watford and welcomed them to come and examine. After much toing and froing, the MoCo agreed to replace the crankshaft assembly, drive and pinion main bearings, gaskets, oil seals and lock washers. Also 8 hours labour to my independent Full-Bore as this is the amount of time they would allow a
    H-D dealer to have allocated for warranty work.

The old crank case was bought by Phil of Fatboyz Diner

Name:	Gear Drive (2).jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	33480
    Last edited by BaZa; 05-11-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    wine [there is the] truth"

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa View Post
    My TC had a large run out of my crank that H-D UK seem to just accept, not a patch on the previous EVO engine crank run-out! I said that the bike was stripped down at Full Bore Motorcycles Watford and welcomed them to come and examine. After much toing and froing, the MoCo agreed to replace the crankshaft assembly, drive and pinion main bearings, gaskets, oil seals and lock washers. Also 8 hours labour to my independent Full-Bore as this is the amount of time they would allow a H-D dealer to have allocated for warranty work.

You did well there BaZa...
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Total Downloaded
    120.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I read on here that Harley accept up to 12 thou run out, my TC was 5 thou but after Timkins bearing fitted etc. the run out was zero.
    I think it has to be there or not much more for the timing gears.

The other thing that was done by Rab at Esk Motorcycles was the cams were changed, this has improved the cooling by better exhaust flow.

This work was driven by me having a bike were the casing let it down. So whilst it was dismantled I got the other work done,
    Alex at Fast Lane Head was a mine of information when I was thinking about it.

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping that the runout is .003" or less, otherwise it will be chain driven cams.
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Send me your heads Mick and I'll flow test them for free if you like ...

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for your kind offer Alex, I will give you a ring later this morning.
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Total Downloaded
    13.80 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Alex, The heads used by Axtell for this Dyno run are the actual heads I have here.

Name:	97 axtell kit  Dyno Chart 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	33534

And these are the parts I have bought so far.

Name:	Parts for Axtell Build 1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	33535
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast