Thread: 2001 FXDWG fuel consumption.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2001 FXDWG fuel consumption.

Can anyone give me a rough idea what sort of mileage I can expect to get from a full tank on my Wideglide. I filled it a few days ago and its showing 80 miles so far, but the tank mounted gauge seems to be going down quicker than I was expecting. I'm hoping its going to be a fair bit more than 100 miles before I have to fill up again, am I right ?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    120.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 2001 FXDWG fuel consumption.

Your fuel tank should be 4.9 gallons I suppose American gallons.

I have a FXSTI with no tuning I get approx. 50 miles to the gallon but I suppose if you had stage 1 tuning etc. that would lower your mpg.

On a run I fill up 150 miles, but could get more.

I am sure the fuel gauge is a float type and are an indication rather than a measurement. I know mine seems to take ages to leave full drops relatively quickly and slows near the low end.

You will get to know your bike and consumption. On mine there is a low fuel light comes on and I once ran for the best part of 20 miles like that.

I am sure someone will be able to put your mind at rest.

Total Downloaded
    39.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Two things a man should never trust.... a fart and a fuel gauge.

Apologies for stating the obvious, but you're better off taking the cap off and having a look.

As a rough guide, you shouldn't be getting less than 40 mpg no matter how much you boot it.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A mate of mine has a 1450 carb wideglide and he's always looking for petrol around 120 miles.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post
    Your fuel tank should be 4.9 gallons I suppose American gallons.

I have a FXSTI with no tuning I get approx. 50 miles to the gallon but I suppose if you had stage 1 tuning etc. that would lower your mpg.

I am sure the fuel gauge is a float type and are an indication rather than a measurement. I know mine seems to take ages to leave full drops relatively quickly and slows near the low end.

You will get to know your bike and consumption. On mine there is a low fuel light comes on and I once ran for the best part of 20 miles like that.

I am sure someone will be able to put your mind at rest.
    Mine is stage one and fitted with a Mikuni carb so I would imagine its a bit thirstier than standard. One other thing, the fuel gauge has a "highlight" (for want of a better description) which shows its getting low, but the fuel tap has a reserve position . Do I wait till the gauge says empty and then switch to reserve , or what ?

Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only switch to reserve when the motor stutters. Your tank capacity is 18.60 litres (4.09 Imperial gallons). As Kev says, the fuel gauge is for indicative purposes only. Leadbelly has got the right idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post

If you assume 45 mpg, which should be easily achieved, you'll be able to go 184 miles until completely empty.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it helps reserve is approx 3L my dyna sport with mikuni carb cams ignition 1550 kit used to go on reserverve at 155 miles on the button when i had it and i could recon on 25 miles left in tank...and remember to switch tap back when you fill up (dont ask ).....

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the info, lads, I'm happy now. Reminds me of 25 years ago when i was a member of the "Other Organisation" (before it became infested with numpties). If you asked any sort of question , the answer was invariably "refer to your local Harley Davidson Dealer" !

Total Downloaded
    123.78 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having run completely dry only recently and ended coasting 2 miles down Caerphilly mountain to a filling station on my FLSTC - be aware that you probably have 30 miles once the orange light comes on!
    Heritage Softail 2009
    Regional Rep - Region 7

Total Downloaded
    105.3 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 1450 Softail fuel injected Stage One and got to the 2018 International at LLangollen from east of Hull on a tankful and we were not hanging about. Had 216 miles on the clock when I filled up. Tank on mine according to the book is 17 litres with 3 litres left when low fuel light comes on in the speedo. That would seem I got over 60 mpg on that run, since having it repaired(burnt out ECM) I haven't had a decent long run to check but appear to be getting just over 50 mpg running around.
    HTH.