Thread: Higher Seating Position Needed FLSTCI

Total Downloaded
    55.89 MB

Higher Seating Position Needed FLSTCI

Hi

I have a 2004 Heritage Softail Classic fitted with a 19.5 inch high Windshield, the shortest available however, I finding that I am having to look through the screen when riding as I am not sitting high enough to see over the top, not something I like to do. The seat on my motorcycle is the standard Heritage Softail Classic item.

Does anyone know if there is a higher seat I can fit, I am guessing that I need to be at least 2 inches higher.

Cheers, Dave.
    2009 Orange XL883R

Previously owned Harleys
    :
    1975 FLH1200 Electra-Glide
    1978 FXE/F Fat Bob
    1979 FLH1200 Electra-Glide
    1983 FLH80 Electra-Glide Classic
    1989 Heritage Softail

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    1.74 MB

Re: Higher Seating Position Needed FLSTCI

The MoCo make the Tallboy range of seats, which promise an extra 2", plus there's the aftermarket La Pera Daddy Long Legs seat. It may be best to keep checking eBay for a second-hand jobbie.

Total Downloaded
    55.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
    The MoCo make the Tallboy range of seats, which promise an extra 2", plus there's the aftermarket La Pera Daddy Long Legs seat. It may be best to keep checking eBay for a second-hand jobbie.
    Hi,

Thanks for that, I looked at the H-D Tallboy seat, it only fits 2006 on Softails. The La Pera Daddy Long Legs just moves you back 2" not up, and again only available for 2006 on bikes.

Dave
    2009 Orange XL883R

Previously owned Harleys
    :
    1978 FXE/F Fat Bob
    1989 Heritage Softail

Total Downloaded
    1.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DWS View Post
    I looked at the H-D Tallboy seat, it only fits 2006 on Softails. The La Pera Daddy Long Legs just moves you back 2" not up, and again only available for 2006 on bikes.
    Seat fitments are model and year-specific. You've been looking at seats for 2006-on Softails, which feature a wide rear fender to accommodate the fatter tyre that came standard from '06. You'll need to find the correct seat for 2000-2005, which may well be harder to find due to the amount of time since those models were made.

Total Downloaded
    14.17 MB

Why don't you just cut the screen down by 2". I've had great success doing this with a Dremmel tool. If you need to have a higher seat, The crossbones solo saddle will lift you up a couple of inches.
    2000 FXSTS. Region 3.

Total Downloaded
    55.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
    Seat fitments are model and year-specific. You've been looking at seats for 2006-on Softails, which feature a wide rear fender to accommodate the fatter tyre that came standard from '06. You'll need to find the correct seat for 2000-2005, which may well be harder to find due to the amount of time since those models were made.
    Actually I have been looking for seats for the 2004 models, wasn't it you in your last post who suggested the Tallboy and Le Pera?
    2009 Orange XL883R

Previously owned Harleys
    :
    1978 FXE/F Fat Bob
    1989 Heritage Softail

Total Downloaded
    105.3 KB

Have a look on Amazon or Ebay for Puig windscreens, they come in a large range of sizes.
    Made in Germany and good quality, come with all the fixings.
    I have one on my 2006 Softail and you can adjust the height within the limits of the headlight touching by altering the angle brackets supplied.

Total Downloaded
    44.58 MB

A bit late in the day, but I had to fit a low windshield after fitting a Saddlemen Explorer seat, that must have been a good inch lower than stock.
    And a warning on that front; the lower screen (low profile I think it was called) allowed me to see over it, but the turbulence was and still is awful.
    Much worse than the stock screen, so I'd be very wary of cutting yours down, or you may find your head stuck in a vortex of unbearable turbulence.
    A taller seat may well be a better solution.
    Jake Beatson
    Centenary FXST

Total Downloaded

May be useful or not but I had the same thing with my heritage. looking through glasses visor and screen when it was raining, I was riding by guesswork! Not advisable. I didn't want to cut my screen in case I screwed it up so I got a replacement screen from Memphis shades and fitted it into my HD framework. Fitted well and did't really notice any increase in noise or buffeting and i could see better (a good thing). Can't remember how much it was but my wallet creaks when i open it so can't have been too bad.