Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Time for a winter update

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Re: Time for a winter update

Here’s all the bits I had to get from Las Vegas. You don’t get a lot for £275.00!!!

]

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Well after a few weeks I got the new seat back. It looked really good on the bike but........it didn’t fit !
    The front wouldn’t go down and latch into place and when the rear mudguard moved up with the swinging arm, It rubbed.

[IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

I didn’t want to send the seat back for alterations so I thought I’d have a go myself. The 1st thing to do was to take the covering off. To do this I had to peel off the lining From the underside and then drill out the pop rivets. Once I’d done this I had to peel off the leather cover which was stuck to the foam. Some of it came away OK but I had to carefully cut the rest away with a scalpel.

[IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Then I had to reshape the foam so that it fitted nicely. The main thing that makes this set a bit more difficult is that it sits in a recess most of the way around so it really does need to be exactly the right shape.

[IMG][/IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

And here it is fitting nicely. Hopefully I’ll be able to reuse the covering I removed with a bit of pulling and stretching.

[IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

So it’s time to put the seat back together. 1st thing to do was to spray the foam base with adhesive, I had some no nonsense spray adhesive in the shed and it was perfect for the job.

[IMG]

I then placed the seat covering on the foam and pressed it onto the adhesive

[IMG][/IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

The next thing was to pop rivet the cover in place. This meant pulling the cover tight, marking where the holes for the rivets are, drilling a 3mm hole through the leather and then putting the pop rivet in.

[IMG]

The tricky bit was cutting and folding the leather where it bunched up around the corners. A bit of patience, a sharp Stanley knife and a bit more glue was needed for this bit.

[IMG]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Here’s the seat all finished..........

[IMG]

I tested the seat out last night by going for a ride with this lot;

[IMG]

The new seat is a hell of a lot more comfortable than my last seat. I now sit a bit further back on the bike and it’s a lot more padded. I need to respray the tank now and fit my new handlebars. I think the handlebars can probably wait until the winter now, I don’t want to take the bike off the road any more during the good weather.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345