Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Time for a winter update

Re: Time for a winter update

Had these bits of bling delivered today. I convinced myself I needed these in the end. They’re a nice subtle touch that just adds to the overall look.

]
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

I’ve got the front rocker cover on and I’m really happy with the look. It matches the ribbing on the reusable oil filter and the fins on the rectifier. I’m not fitting the rear one yet as I’ve a bit more filling, rubbing down and spraying to the frame around the seat.

Just discovered this thread, kudos to you, really interesting seeing progress, false starts and process of how you're getting exactly where you want. If I understand rightly, you'll be going over the tank with the candy apple red? that'll be interesting to see.

Last time I reshaped my seat, I used a flap disc on the grinder. Messy as hell but left a lovely smooth surface to fit cover to.
    1998 FLHRCI

Quote Originally Posted by Road King Alan View Post
    Just discovered this thread, kudos to you, really interesting seeing progress, false starts and process of how you're getting exactly where you want. If I understand rightly, you'll be going over the tank with the candy apple red? that'll be interesting to see.

Last time I reshaped my seat, I used a flap disc on the grinder. Messy as hell but left a lovely smooth surface to fit cover to.
    That’s right, I’ll be going over the tank with candy apple red. The 2nd time I sprayed the tank I did the same process and was happy with the result. I can imagine the mess with the flap disc on the seat, I’m doing mine in my garage so I reshaped the seat with a surform, still messy but the mess is more contained. One of the things I like about doing this thread is to hopefully encourage others to have a go at doing some things for themselves. I’ll always give something a go before I give up, it’s all a learning process. I’ve learned a lot about spraying, seat making, electrics, hydraulics and much more just by giving it a go. If you’re interested, you might want to have a look at my original thread called putting it back together which I did when I sprayed my chop the 1st time and put it together afterwards.

Got a bit of airbrushing done today. Only the frame around the seat. I need to check it out in the daylight before I apply the clear coat. I’ve made that mistake before when everything looks OK in artificial light and it’s not so good when you see it in daylight.

]

Only the tank to finish off and a really good clean up now......

]

I've always disliked the oil line between the oil pressure guage and the crankcase. It was braided steel that had a clear pvc covering that had gone a horrible yellow colour. I had tried to get a shorter replacement as it looked as if it was a bit too long which made it bend. Looking at it today, I thought I'd try covering it in the same red and black braided covering I used on my handlebar cables. It only took 10 minutes and it looks so much better than it did.

I'm seriously considering putting a thin variegated goldleaf pistripe around the edges of the flames on my tank. I'll put these on before the candy coat so they won't be "in yer face". I’ve not done any pinstriping before so any helpful suggestions would be greatly received. I've got a mack swordstriper hopefully being delivered tomorrow and Ive already got some acrylic size from when I did the lettering on my tank the 1st time sprayed it.
    Last edited by paulspice; 28-02-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789