Thread: You never know...

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

You never know...

I wrote a play inspired by Red January (Mind). Are there any producers/directors out there that may want to read it?
    Here is the synopsis:

Anthony and his friend Wes are one-time colleagues. They have known one another since starting university. They met at medical school and qualified as doctors at the same time. They are the same age. Anthony married and had children. Wes did not; he enjoys the good life. They wrote fiction together at university and had some success. Ultimately Anthony had the pressures of work, writing, wife, kids and all that went with it. He was eventually de-registered from medicine by the General Medical Council for gross misconduct and at the same time Wes resigned as a doctor (though he is still registered) to follow a (medical) journalistic path. He writes novels too and is quite well off as a result. He once offered to help Anthony out financially, but the offer was resented so he is constantly looking for ways to help that pay Anthony – hence the offer to co-write the play with a cash prize if it won the competition, knowing Anthony wouldn’t do it alone. Anthony considers himself a spent force and is completely unmotivated in life.
    During telephone/texting exchanges between Anthony and Wes, something happens in the conversations that eventually hits a nerve and Anthony effortlessly writes a complete play in no time at all, but his initial motivation is to get Wes off his back – not necessarily to perform well. The process of writing is frantic and comically/dramatically displayed on the stage and the installed stage screen*. Anthony emails the play to Wes who submits it – Anthony suffers an agonising wait for the result.
    Anthony has a further drift into deep depression and solitude following what he sees as a protracted wait for the result of the competition. There is an imagined discourse with familiar demons leading to an unrelenting downward spiral of depression.

I won't give the end away...

There is no sex, nudity or gratuitous violence so it's not for everyone, there is liberal use of expletive, though.
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB

Re: You never know...

How big is the text?
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    263.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    I wrote a play inspired by Red January (Mind). Are there any producers/directors out there that may want to read it?
    Here is the synopsis:

Anthony and his friend Wes are one-time colleagues. They have known one another since starting university. They met at medical school and qualified as doctors at the same time. They are the same age. Anthony married and had children. Wes did not; he enjoys the good life. They wrote fiction together at university and had some success. Ultimately Anthony had the pressures of work, writing, wife, kids and all that went with it. He was eventually de-regulated from General Practice to General Veterinarian by the General Medical Council for gross misconduct (selling Tickets of Admission to the Afterlife and that thing with the milking machines, cats and latex) afterward buying an old Shovelhead and shining it up to Greater than Oriental Splendor,and thinking his self better off yet without those artificial drags of respect from the responsibilities that society demands of itinerant brain surgeons. Meanwhile, Wes resigned as a doctor (though he is still registered) to follow the advice of a strange little man, who always was dressed in tatters and smelled oddly of catnip, toddling through the back-alley each morning with an attendant rodeo of cats, as freely to bestow advice, curses and blessings on his neighbors as they might likewise trouble themselves to bestow upon him.
    "Ves me pus', the little man said, 'Doc, if I'd fingers the match of yours I'd write medical thrillers about crazed veterinarians.'"
    . Wes took to it and wrote several novels in that line having, as he did, a contact in the business. He sold the movie rights too and is quite well off as a result. He once offered to help Anthony out financially, but the offer was resented so he is constantly looking for ways to help that pay Anthony – hence the offer to co-write the play with a cash prize if it won the competition, knowing Anthony wouldn’t do it alone. Anthony considers himself a spent force and is completely unmotivated in life.
    During telephone/texting exchanges between Anthony and Wes, something happens in the conversations that eventually hits a nerve and Anthony effortlessly writes a complete play in no time at all, but his initial motivation is to get Wes off his back – not necessarily to perform well. The process of writing is frantic and comically/dramatically displayed on the stage and the installed stage screen*. Anthony emails the play to Wes who submits it – Anthony suffers an agonising wait for the result.
    Anthony has a further drift into deep depression and solitude following what he sees as a protracted wait for the result of the competition. There is an imagined discourse with familiar demons leading to an unrelenting downward spiral of depression.

I won't give the end away...

There is no sex, nudity or gratuitous violence so it's not for everyone, there is liberal use of expletive, though.
    Since your play contains no gratuitous sex, nor gratuitous nudity or gratuitous violence neither, I rewrote it in a way to give it some interest.
    The purple print is as far as I got..... I tried to be careful about working in the motorcycle angle, but tried to make it believable as well;
    what happens is:
    Wes backs Tony in what becomes a well-liked if rowdy inde pre-Evo shop. Wes persuades Tony, who is an inveterate keeper of highly inventive and shockingly detailed diaries, to use his diaries as the basis for a tv show about the shop. The show becomes wildly successful.
    The BBC picks it up and by the 3rd season demands total control of the content "There is an imagined discourse with familiar demons leading to an unrelenting downward spiral of depression."

I haven't thrashed out an ending...... so anything's possible.

Tony has a Shovelhead; does 'gratuitous violence' include visual shots of how them dents in the wall came to be? There's cursing aplenty anyway.
    If you decide to add sex and nudity I am sure it would balance the receipts.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

Skip, a shovel owner with a bunch of cats sounds too improbable.