Thread: Driving Licence - Due to expire

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving Licence - Due to expire

My licence is due to expire in June and I'm a bit concerned about renewal. Apparently, it's a bit risky due to people getting sent back licences that don't include motorcycles. Some sort of cock up at the DVLA and it's very difficult to overcome. The advice given is to keep your licence and just report it lost. That way you have indisputable proof if the problem arises.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Rod.
    Time out of mind

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    147.96 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Driving Licence - Due to expire

Renew online, and hang onto your old one.
    Thats what i did. Assuming you have the photocard licence.

Total Downloaded
    348.27 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a photo ard licence then take a good picture or scan both sides.

Ensure red the classes are legible

Go to,the post office and renew there as they will do it all for you.

wait for new licence and check it properly when it arrives

I cannot emphasise how easy it is to do at the post office. They take your picture and fill the form out. All you have to do is pose and sign something.
    It's your club, have your say!

Anglia Region Rep (15)

I'm not completely useless, I'm a bad example
    Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
    Idiot for Hire

www.karpettiger.co.uk

This calls for a delicate combination of psychology and extreme violence

Total Downloaded
    2.61 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi
    if you follow this link you can check that the DVLA have the correct groups on your licence before you apply for the new one.

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Frank

Total Downloaded
    40.66 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As above; "lose" your old licence, hang on to it till you get the new one, check and compare, if all okay send the old one back.

All perfectly legal to do. I don't understand why DVLA don't make it standard practice, though that would be to admit that they are fallible.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    12.08 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is not urban legend, the bike press have done exposes on many examples including a chief constable, all cases where they were told to provide their original pass form - the one you part with to get your full license!! (I haven't done my change of address yet on my pink license for fear of this, have considered getting a solicitors witnesssed photo-copy before sending)

I don't want to sound paranoid but I can't help wondering if this is down to admin incompetance or a ploy to make old timers go through the "for-your-own-good" training scheme route - after all, our many years on the road count for nothing against a newly qualified rider. (we had a motorcycle training scheme locally years back and when I dropped by to see what it was all about two of the three instructors were people who'd just passed and been invited to teach others!)
    Last edited by Paul P.; 15-02-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice lads. I get the picture now. If I can do it online, then so be it. Otherwise, it's the post office. Either way, I'm hanging on to my existing one.
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    17.37 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 mates of mine have had problems - one lost his motorcycle entitlement and had to re-do modern test. Another mate kept only his bike licence, which was awkward as he needed to drive a van in connection with his 1 man business.

Both of these took much hassle to resolve.. I am always really careful and keep copies as others have suggested.
    Boris

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Boris, I’ll feedback on progress
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    40.66 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    This is not urban legend, the bike press have done exposes on many examples including a chief constable, all cases where they were told to provide their original pass form - the one you part with to get your full license!! (I haven't done my change of address yet on my pink license for fear of this, have considered getting a solicitors witnesssed photo-copy before sending)

I don't want to sound paranoid but I can't help wondering if this is down to admin incompetance or a ploy to make old timers go through the "for-your-own-good" training scheme route - after all, our many years on the road count for nothing against a newly qualified rider. (we had a motorcycle training scheme locally years back and when I dropped by to see what it was all about two of the three instructors were people who'd just passed and been invited to teach others!)
    It's nothing to do with that Paul; merely the fact that no government department will admit to having made a mistake. The burden of proof is always on the member of public to prove entitlement. In the world of government bureaucracy, if you haven't got documented proof then it hasn't happened.

As a vocational driver (HGV) I have to renew my entitlement every five years, and after hearing of other drivers having issues I decided to cover my ass by keeping my old licence till I got the new one. You will appreciate that if they get it wrong with mine, i'm out of a job.
    Last edited by kevscrivener; 15-02-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    Much less involved.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast