Thread: Speedo drives

Total Downloaded
    392.63 MB

Speedo drives

I've been doing clownery again and as is my want I have snatched defeat from jaws of victory.

My speedo stopped working a few weeks ago. I did a quick dismantle and established it was the cable. No biggie thought I, it will be a slice of urine.

So after looking up part numbers and getting an equivalent from Hogparts I had at it today. Mainly because it was wasnt raining.

The batwing came off and I undid the cable at the instrument end. Tried to unscrew the drive end and it wouldn't. Hmmm so I doused it wd40 and tried again, nope not having a bar of it.

So I drop the front wheel out, luckily it was as nearly as straightforward as it sounds, aside from jacking the bike up.

Now here's where the hilarity starts. I couldn't detach the cable from the bike as the instrument end knurled nut thing wont go through the mud guard tidy clamp thing. I thought as I have a new cable I'll just cut it at the drive and look at it on the bench.

So I have the spindle in the vice with the drive on it and I start managing to undo the cable end with a pair of adjustable leverage clamps (mole grips) and it comes loose. Much cheering and dancing ensued.

Guess what? No thread. As you can see in the BluroVision snap it pushes in and I found a grub screw under a load of dirt.

My question is if this correct how do I get the right cable?

I'm going to have a chat Hogparts on Tuesday as I saw some sort of conversion kit for speedo drives and I'm wondering if that's what I need.

As you may no doubt be aware reassembly was the reverse of disassembly. I sealed the open of the drive so it wont get filled with shi.........road debris.

Still I've given you lot a laugh anyway.

Next update Tuesday

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    It's your club, have your say!

Anglia Region Rep (15)

I'm not completely useless, I'm a bad example
    Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
    Idiot for Hire

www.karpettiger.co.uk

This calls for a delicate combination of psychology and extreme violence

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    48.94 MB

Re: Speedo drives

I've just this afternoon done a similar job on an EVO Sportster Paul; took a bit of head scratching to work out that the coils of the cable itself screw into the fitting that you are holding, very nearly took the Mole grips to it myself. That's if it is the same, looks to be.
    For the correct cable you need the overall length and whether the speedo end is 10mm or 16mm thread; again if it's the same sort of fitting.
    Cheers

Total Downloaded
    392.63 MB

Re: Speedo drives

Right then, I've had the hammer out again.

I removed the offending peice of speedo drive again and tried unscrewing the remaining peice of cable left in it. I cut the old one remember.

Lo and behold there was a screw thread with a metal sleeve.

Phew!!!!!!

So I screwed in the new cable and bingo it fitted.

So it was off with batwing and fit the rest of it.

Reassembly was the reverse of disassembly and all that's left is a test.

Marvellous

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk
    It's your club, have your say!

Anglia Region Rep (15)

I'm not completely useless, I'm a bad example
    Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
    Idiot for Hire

www.karpettiger.co.uk

This calls for a delicate combination of psychology and extreme violence