Thread: XLCR identification

Total Downloaded

XLCR identification

Im looking for a XLCR and would like some pointers in Identifying a genuine over a replica. Any one know where I can find the chassis and frame number list for said model?

Many thanks Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

Re: XLCR identification

The factory code is 7F followed by usually five digits then H7 or H8, most likely H7 as there were only a few made in 1978 - 1,008 I think I recall? The frame number will be on the steering neck right side like the Sportster and the engine number (should be matching) on a raised boss on the left crankcase just under the cylinders. The black engine finish was unique to it, the exhaust system, tail, chainguard etc - all things you can see from photos. The frame was the basis for the 1979-81 Sportster, how identical it is I am not certain but apart from the exhaust being claimed to be "tuned" I don't know of any unique engine feature? I have the parts book if anything needs looking up, though the many more web literate members will likely find one online for you.

Total Downloaded
    28.33 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    The factory code is 7F followed by usually five digits then H7 or H8, most likely H7 as there were only a few made in 1978 - 1,008 I think I recall? The frame number will be on the steering neck right side like the Sportster and the engine number (should be matching) on a raised boss on the left crankcase just under the cylinders. .
    You mean right hand crankcase between lifters??
    Boris

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

Doh! should never had taken that little bit of string off my right thumb, I got cocky and thought I could tell the difference!

Total Downloaded
    4.38 MB

Cosmo motorcycles has a xlcr for sale ,had one myself that i brought back from oregon , they do not handle too well and the cafe racer bit is pushing the limits of credibility !!
    but they look good !.

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

I was working as a clerk in the Special Reports team at The Times newspaper when they came out and one appeared under the building where us bike owners parked. It turned out to be the press bike, being tried out by Sunday Times editor and keen motorcyclist Harold Evans. I went to see him and he quickly turned fellow biker, offering me a ride of it (don't think he was supposed to do that!) - while it rode fine like Baz says it was no Italian stallion and those little bars didn't help.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

I have never seen a replica. Seat? Fairing? Pipes? etc etc WAY too much work.

But you're now on the way to a matching numbers machine with that info

Total Downloaded

Thanks Guys for the info, I have found one, however it’s V5 is Unknown model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

If the numbers match and look "factory" I could try doing you a club headed letter stating what the machine is and its importance..if you do buy it.