Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: It's amazing how quickly these machines come apart.

Total Downloaded
    8.07 MB

Re: It's amazing how quickly these machines come apart.

Great pictures and a lot of work - I bet that ol' bike thought it was doomsday before you came along and rescued it.

Probably got soaked in the shipping container.

Good luck with the rest of it.
    Keep on Keeping On

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    Probably got soaked in the shipping container.
    Boz wondered if it was caught in the flooding in 2005 in New Orleans. The last place in the USA it was registered to was New York, which is a long way away from there and there have been many other floods in the USA. Anythin's possible.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ride safe, Mike.

Total Downloaded
    49.57 MB

Great work Mike, it's really coming together now. Just hope there's somewhere to go this year. Unusual piston choice - did Boz choose them? Forged or hypereutectic?What's the dome volume?

Total Downloaded
    10.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Probably both have been banned by the EEC by now? or altered until, like "creosote substitute", they don't do the job they used to!
    you can get the original creosote from a farmer out let , but must say you are a farmer ,,i have no problem!!!, not cheap anymore
    20ltrs £80

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    47.58 MB

Nice going. Those pictures may well help somebody in the future.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    336.2 KB

Nice rebuild pics. I love the idea of using modified 7/8 handlebar switchgear.
    I've been looking at ways to get headlight on/off and flasher (especially a flasher - got used to having one on the Guzzis).
    I'll have a look around and see what I've got !

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    Great work Mike, it's really coming together now. Just hope there's somewhere to go this year. Unusual piston choice - did Boz choose them? Forged or hypereutectic?What's the dome volume?
    Hi Alex, have a good holiday?

These were Boz's choice. I just said I have the v4's and needed to get the top end to match them. We discussed the pro's and cons of V4's and V2's and from there I would probably have gone for V2's to be honest. BUT, I have the 4's and now I have cylinders bored to match these pistons! I'm looking forward to see how rev happy this will be.

I dont know the answer to your other questions, but I can ask VT. The tech leaflet that came with the pistons has both types mentioned, so I'll need to dig under the tarpualins to find them and read the label. Do you think I should still use 30thou gasket when the compression is already higher with domed pistons?
    Ride safe, Mike.

Total Downloaded
    49.57 MB

Quote Originally Posted by MuldoonsGhost View Post
    Hi Alex, have a good holiday?
    I wish. I had Christmas day off if that's what you mean ..

We discussed the pro's and cons of V4's and V2's and from there I would probably have gone for V2's to be honest. BUT, I have the 4's and now I have cylinders bored to match these pistons!
    I used N2's once in a 1200 build years ago and wasn't impressed. If Boz bored the cylinders then you should be OK. Many people have isssues with KB pistons as they need to be set up exactly as the spec sheet says with regards to piston clearance and ring gaps.

I dont know the answer to your other questions, but I can ask VT. The tech leaflet that came with the pistons has both types mentioned, so I'll need to dig under the tarpualins to find them and read the label. Do you think I should still use 30thou gasket when the compression is already higher with domed pistons?
    The spec sheet should give you the dome volume and you'll need to know the combustion chamber volume. Only when you have these two and your deck height will you be able to determine what your static compression ratio is. Once you have that you can then look at head and base gasket dimensions to get the compression ratio that you need. If Boz ordered the pistons knowing that you have V4's then they should be right. I don't use KB's so I don't know what they offer ...

Total Downloaded

Hi Alex.

Thanks for this advice, I will need all I can get in the future. But the engine is still a bit away for me just now. I will pick every grey cell your'e willing to lend me when that happens.
    Ride safe, Mike.

Total Downloaded

Another album update. Some little jobs getting done. How to eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
    Ride safe, Mike.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast