Thread: Chain drive kits for my 2005 XL1200R

Total Downloaded

Chain drive kits for my 2005 XL1200R

Now 1st my reason for this is I just don’t like belts. My sportster eats them, rear sprocket & belts. It maybe it’s just not in my dna to look after them right or it’s that my right hand is errr a tad enthusiastic.
    My m8’s 2006 883 has had the same belt & sprockets from new and they still look brand new. Same mileage and we ride together often and tour..I’m not dissing belts here.
    Also in the spirit of always do mods to improve the ride I’ve read that belts eat between 9 to 15% of the power output and chains between 2 to 4%.
    so I’m considering fitting a chain kit. I like more power

looking at the ads for kits and ofc they don’t tell you what you need to know. Most don’t say if the chain is an O ring or not or what make it is. Some kits say you can’t use an O ring chain with it. Most say it’s a 530 so I’m guessing that’s what I need.
    some say won’t work with original engine sprocket cover some say rear foot rest has to go on some models (not which ones) some say will work with a 150 rear tyre some say they won’t most just don’t say. Some say steel rear sprocket others alloy. Most don’t say who made the sprockets so I’d have to buy a complete new kit when the time comes to replace one item or another or if I just want to swop out the rear sprog to a different ratio because of the spacers supplied with the kit?
    so a mine field.
    ive obviously lived with bikes with final drive chain set ups all my life but, strangely, never needed to buy a sprocket and from memory a chain once from the franchise dealer.
    So not an expert on chains, sprockets and the after market ins an out of it all..

questions :-
    so I’m guessing 530 O ring chain for long life etc
    steel sprockets for long life? What benefits, if any, for alloy?
    I think the teeth count is 48 rear 24 engine? to match my 1200 belt ratios? Can anyone confirm or give me the definitive answer.

Can anyone whose fitted a chain kit to a 1200 (that could be fitted to my 2005 bike) with a 150 section rear tyre, steel sprockets 530 Oring chain & with no mods needed to there bike let me know what kit they used? & if you can just buy of the shelf replacement sprockets if needed?
    And there experience with it all.
    cheers all
    happy riding.
    Last edited by howo; 25-10-2020 at 06:31 PM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Re: Chain drive kits for my 2005 XL1200R

I've also been thinking about this recently and for the same reasons - free added rear wheel power with no engine, carb or exhaust mods and an end to snapping belts.
    My bike is a 2000 with 61:29 pulleys. This gives a ratio of 2.103 which is equivalent to a 23 front and 48 rear (2.087).
    The ratio has to be close or you'd need a conversion for the speedo.
    Personally I don't think an aluminium rear sprocket would last 5 minutes in the UK but I could be wrong.

You may find a quick chat with Will Burrows (http://willburrowmotorcycles.com/contact.php) or one of the other independents may be helpful as they've all probably done tons of these through the years.

Total Downloaded

Hi an cheers for the ratios info. That’s cleared that up.
    will give him a bell if I can’t sort it out over the net.
    just wanted to get the right kit once not kick myself through lack of research
    thanks for your help
    Btw my riding / touring buddy (883) has the same last name as yourself!
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded

Glad to be of help.
    We are a bit common ! There are 4 others I know of with the same christian and surname in the north west area. One of the 4 is an elder relative I was named after, never met the others.

Total Downloaded
    47.19 MB

Just to note, I think Will knocks off about 4, although it says 5 on the link. But he starts earlier than 9. This as has been my experience anyway.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded

Cheers for that
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded

According to Zippers site
    SPORTSTER Choose between 19-26 teeth on the transmission sprocket; on the rear 46-65 (aluminum), 46-49 & 51 (chrome steel) and 49 & 51 (zinc steel). Suggested ranges: (’91-’03) 21/23 front, 46-51 rear sizes fit best; 2004-up models require larger diameter sprockets [25/26 front, 52-55 rear] to clear the passenger peg mounts on the frame). Sizes outside of these ranges may require modifications for proper clearance.

https://www.zippersperformance.com/c...rsion-kits-xl/

funny how most ads for kits don’t mention this most say fit all sportsters 2000 & up?? With the 48 23 sprocket kit
    Can you go bigger front & back sprogs and match original ratios?
    I’m guessing not.
    Last edited by howo; 30-10-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    OMG it started !!!!!