Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery electrical component 1981 flh80

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB

Smile Re: Mystery electrical component 1981 flh80

Thanks for all the thoughts folks. Bike had points when bought but changed to contactless ignition. Never tried kicking it over without a battery fitted. Never had indicators in my ownership.
    I may not be telling the whole story here. Last night it occurred to me that on purchase there was a small din type socket mounted on the frame rail above the oil tank and accessible withe then seat fitted. No idea what it was. My thoughts at the time were perhaps some kind of battery tender socket or even somewhere to plug in some kind of diagnostic device. As I am typing I wonder if the socket was somewhere to plug in a timing device. I really dont know. I removed the socket with the bike running, nothing happened so it went in the bin. It may have nothing at all to do with the nylon box and its contents.
    Me being me may have a photo of the socket and where it was connected. I will look for that.
    The bike came from Russ at Breton motorcycles in 2011. It is a Dutch import and I have no knowledge of past ownership.
    Thanks again.
    Hodgie.

Incidentally I am still denied permission to post attachments and the process of posting an image described in PM by Tom is not what I see.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    47.21 MB

Re: Mystery electrical component 1981 flh80

Not some kind of vintage prehistoric alarm/ immobiliser gadget is it ? With a connection to the coil and wires to the handldbars to enter a code via the flasher buttons, just a wild guess like.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

Why not do what I have just done on my 1980 FXWG and tear out all the shitty old and non-stock wiring and rewire it back to stock, colour-coded as per factory manual?

This has a couple of big advantages.

Troubleshooting becomes SO much easier

You know what's there because you've done it yourself

All wiring is new.

And it's really not hard!

Ready-to-install looms are available everywhere. Still requires some DIY but.... you won't ever be baffled like this in future.

I have never seen anything like that, and replies above from people who know their Shovels indicate that they haven't either.

While you're at it, get rid of that horseshoe oil tank. Not worth repairing.

Just my opinion, but they really ruin the look of an FX or FL ... unless it's a chopper.

Good luck

Total Downloaded
    28.46 MB

What ignition are you running? I thought at first it was ignition amplifier but as it had 4 sections and goes to turn signals I suspect its one of the flip / flop relays that were used back in the day to avoid need to hold turn buttons. Iirc you push once to signal, then push again to stop signal.

Is there a part number anywhere?? Near the 12V inscription?

Like KD says, I would bin wiring and start again
    Boris

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB

The pair of red wires along with the pair of black wires (disconnected near battery) going to each switch gear went to each indicator switch. Stripped it all out now and binned the mystery box.
    Not too much wiring on the bike so will now rewire from scratch.
    As for the suggestion about the horse shit oil tank. All opinions respected but I disagree so it will be repaired and re fitted. It's not a chop but it is way off been stock.
    Thanks again for all comments and thoughts.
    Hodgie.

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB

In addition to what I have posted above, here is a picture of the mystery box. Hopefully someone out there will have an idea from looking at the components within coupled with my description of how it was wired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201025_183611.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	35827

Hodgie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12