Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air cleaner to fit Mikuni carb.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Re: Air cleaner to fit Mikuni carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickiebird View Post
    My carb is actually an HSR42
    They're great carbs. I run a 42 on one bike and a 45 on the other. Once set up correctly they give a throttle response like no other carb ..

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

I am really happy with the bike, Alex. It makes the '91 FXSTC I had (new) seem rather sluggish. I've got a Bassani 2 into 1 system on it as well (Road Rage 11), so I thought I'd stick a decent air cleaner on it as well. Been looking at a V&H VO2 (I think thats what its called) . Are they any good ?

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

You have a great engine there. The 2000-2002 engines had the strongest bottom ends HD have ever manufactured. The big problem with the early TC engines is as I'm sure you know, the cam chain tensioning system. Get rid of that and you'll never need another bike. Pretty much all of the air filter assemblies out there use K & N filter elements which flow much more than the heads in a stock application. The housings are just for decoration and add nothing to the performance so just go with whatever you like the look of. The Bassani Road Rage 2 is a good system that again flows much more than the heads and it scales well should you ever decide to look further into performance modifications. The real benefits of a 2 into 1 system are realised with cams that have a long overlap period. The stock cams have zero so unfortunately you won't feel the benefit. I ran one on my 114" engine until the back end of the muffler fell apart. You'll see a very minimal if any increase at all in performance by changing either or both the air filter and the exhaust on a stock engine unless the items you remove are very restrictive. The choke point is the heads. You could run with no filter at all and there still wouldn't be more than about 120 cubic feet per minute of air passing through the system ...
    Last edited by Fast Lane; Yesterday at 11:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12