Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perry’s 50th

Total Downloaded

Perry’s 50th

So normally I go to the hook up chopper in Wales but I noticed it’s Perry’s 50th, is there going to be anything special planned along the vintage lines to celebrate?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    41.85 MB

Re: Perry’s 50th

I suspect that as with most things, Vince, it will be dictated by this bloody virus.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    12.33 MB

Yes there are thoughts about how to mark the occasion WITHOUT changing the events nature but you should be aware that the committee decided that this years event should not count, that we celebrate events and not calendar years (we thought that was also how the late Perry would have viewed it?) so now the anniversary year will be 2022.

(we are not thinking of full blown rally format by the way, think more along the lines of sheltered evening barbie and badge etc and a piggy back Vintage status, maybe even invited guests along the lines of Indian Club, likely bike awards?))

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Yes there are thoughts about how to mark the occasion WITHOUT changing the events nature but you should be aware that the committee decided that this years event should not count, that we celebrate events and not calendar years (we thought that was also how the late Perry would have viewed it?) so now the anniversary year will be 2022.

(we are not thinking of full blown rally format by the way, think more along the lines of sheltered evening barbie and badge etc and a piggy back Vintage status, maybe even invited guests along the lines of Indian Club, likely bike awards?))
    Not sure I understand this thinking, events are celebrated not calender years, what nonsense is this? It's calender years that trigger all special events and anniveraries!

50 years of the club's oldest event should be marked in 2021 when it's relevant not a year later (assuming pandemic crisis is over).

Total Downloaded
    12.33 MB

Well we thought to celebrate 50 events, we also were uncertain about how Covid will affect next year and there was the probability of a clash with another special occasion event. We also anticipate a very large number of events (not just club ones) will hold off from the early part of next year (obviously looking for a safety margin away from Covid) and cause a rush of clashes. We began to imagine a very special event becoming lost in a flurry of competing weekends. If more people also feel like you do then they should give us some feedback pretty damn quick, though preferably only those who intend to support the event please.
    (the first comments about "only 49 events" actually came from non-committee members)

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Perry's is one of my favourite low key events, this is part of its charm. Perhaps the celebration can also be low key if understandably Covid has the potential to disrupt elaborate plans. A simple 50th badge handed out FREE in keeping with the event itself which is FREE to all paid up members is the way forward - the club can afford this. The badge ideally will depict a classic Hog in front of the historic stately home.

Total Downloaded
    12.33 MB

Again, as in post 3, whatever is planned is intended to maintain the events nature - the helicopter rides will be tastefully run and the Wall of Death will only feature pocket valve Harleys.....

Total Downloaded

I really didn’t mean to stir anything up, I was just inquiring along the lines of a special vintage meet, not a burn out comp, or naked midget wrestling. All the guys I ride with have vintage bikes and it’s a hard sell to get them to ride past ONE of Europe’s best vintage chopper weekends.. that’s not a knock on Perry’s charms.

Total Downloaded
    12.33 MB

No need to apologise, as they say no such thing as bad publicity so this little exchange helps to put it on people's radar - the final decision on what we do extra is yet to be taken anyway. You could build one of your projects for a debut at Perrys of course..? Whatever we want will have to be run past the family anyway so that is a factor we will have to face...though I'd like to think they must have some faith in us by now!

Total Downloaded
    41.85 MB

I have to say Paul (even though I am unlikely to attend) that I think the committee has made the right call on this one.

I too predict a plethora of events next year, which may yet be compromised if the virus does not abate in the early months of 2021. A depressing thought, but one which you are right to bear in mind.
    Much less involved.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast