Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Electrics

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Re: Custom Electrics

Quote Originally Posted by jayzedkay View Post
    Dave,
    if you do go down the route of adding a relay, to get back to normal toggle-operation.
    you can get changeover micro-relays from the likes of Auto Electrical Supplies (AES)

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....2/category/194

if you are unaware, the ones with diodes across the relay coil are to suppress back-emf; high voltage spikes produced when the coil is switched off.
    it's always a good idea to use these coils with suppression diodes connected.

only thing with these relays they don't have a facility to mount them, like other ones do.
    but you can always fashion something, even if it's just cable-ties?

j.
    Hi Julian,
    I’ve just had a look at the relays in the link you posted. They’re nice and compact which is really good with the limited space I have. As you said they could be mounted with cable ties or maybe even stuck on. I think I’ll order one see where I can mount it.
    cheers
    Paul
    If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by jayzedkay View Post
    Dave,
    if you do go down the route of adding a relay, to get back to normal toggle-operation.
    you can get changeover micro-relays from the likes of Auto Electrical Supplies (AES)

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co....2/category/194

if you are unaware, the ones with diodes across the relay coil are to suppress back-emf; high voltage spikes produced when the coil is switched off.
    it's always a good idea to use these coils with suppression diodes connected.

only thing with these relays they don't have a facility to mount them, like other ones do.
    but you can always fashion something, even if it's just cable-ties?

j.
    I’ve ordered one of those micro relays. The hook up I’ve done at the moment works but for some reason there’s an annoying delay when I switch to main beam. It’s only a fraction of a second but it’s still annoying.

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

I’ve got the relay now and managed to find a place to mount it. I’ve got to get some mini spade connectors as the relay uses 2 different sizes of spade connectors. Julian or Dave, would either of you be able to confirm that I’ve got the connections right, I’m 99% sure I have but it would be good to have confirmation.

1....relay power
    2....relay ground
    3....power from dip switch
    4....power to main beam
    5....power to dipped beam

]

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

All working now, the mistake I made was I had connections 3 and 1 around the wrong way. I now realise that there’s a permanent live to the lights and it’s the relay power that is switched on and off with the handlebar switch. It’s solved that delay that I had before when switching between main and dipped beams.
    Another job ticked off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12