Thread: Cheapo headlight cowl - any experience?

Total Downloaded
    838.4 KB

Cheapo headlight cowl - any experience?

These cheapo headlight fairings, available on eBay:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	36101
    as it says in the description, no instructions included. Looking at the pictures, I'm guessing that the metal plate replaces the cast headlight peak so the headlight shell is then mounted to the plate using the larger bolt with the rubber section. Does this then make the headlight difficult to adjust, or wobbly? Poor old light needs all the help it can get! Maybe I should leave it & just buy a more aerodynamic helmet.
    Has anyone any experience with these units; is the mounting really poor/are there better ones out there?
    R14 Assistant Rep.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    31.40 MB

Re: Cheapo headlight cowl - any experience?

A mate fitted a colour coded one to his Evo Dyna, looked good and no issues with fitting though it took some fiddling to get it how he wanted it but he said it did squat as far as any wind reduction is concerned
    50 Pan/Shovel
    91 FXRS SP

Total Downloaded
    336.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cab View Post
    These cheapo headlight fairings, available on eBay:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	36101
    as it says in the description, no instructions included. Looking at the pictures, I'm guessing that the metal plate replaces the cast headlight peak so the headlight shell is then mounted to the plate using the larger bolt with the rubber section. Does this then make the headlight difficult to adjust, or wobbly? Poor old light needs all the help it can get! Maybe I should leave it & just buy a more aerodynamic helmet.
    Has anyone any experience with these units; is the mounting really poor/are there better ones out there?
    I've got the HD one which looks surprisingly similar on my Sportster - I wished I'd known there was a cheap version ! The bracket mounts to the top of the eyebrow using spacers and an extension is fitted to the headlight adjuster. It took an age to fit it the first time as it is a bit fiddly and the screen needs to be removed to make any adjustments.
    I've just had a look through the usual places but can't find the instructions - Ill have a look in the garage in the morning if you wish.

Total Downloaded
    336.2 KB

Total Downloaded
    838.4 KB

Thanks for the link Stig, that makes it all clear - looks like the cheapo is an exact rip-off of the factory version! Like Chopper said, "it did squat as far as any wind reduction is concerned" I thought it might be a vanity project! (makes it look fast,right?)
    R14 Assistant Rep.

Total Downloaded

I put one on my 96 dyna just a cheapo off ebay sprayed it up & it fitted ok & allows a bit of fiddling/adjustment .I'm really pleased with it but my sportster owning mate hates them ...what the f**k is that when he first saw it.

Total Downloaded
    336.2 KB

I had exactly the same reaction when I first saw them so bought a Dart screen which looked like an after thought.
    Then I bought the HD cowl and to be honest it looks a load better in the flesh.
    Really happy with it as it keeps the elements away from the twin clocks and provides some weather protection - admittedly not much !
    However, I don't make an habit of riding in wet and cold weather any more so wasn't really looking for the sort of protection the barn door screen I had on the California used to give when commuting every day.

Total Downloaded
    336.2 KB

Just found one of those on Ebay for £26 from China - same as the German £75 offering.
    The HD screen cost me £223 so that's a bit of a saving ! It would be interesting to see if the quality is there as well.

Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stig57 View Post
    I had exactly the same reaction when I first saw them so bought a Dart screen which looked like an after thought.
    Then I bought the HD cowl and to be honest it looks a load better in the flesh.
    Really happy with it as it keeps the elements away from the twin clocks and provides some weather protection - admittedly not much !
    However, I don't make an habit of riding in wet and cold weather any more so wasn't really looking for the sort of protection the barn door screen I had on the California used to give when commuting every day.

I fitted a Dart screen about 18 months ago on my FXSTC. No weather protection really but does do a tidy job of wind deflection at motorway speeds with no buffeting. On and off in a jiffy if you want (i dont). I think they look good and the quality is good as well. And they are somewhat adjustable in as much as you can move them down the forks a bit if youre a short-arse, or to the top if you are of normal height so the flow goes over your helmet.
    Only dead fish swim with the tide