Thread: E10...

E10...

Having just rebuilt my SU carb I noticed there was only one Viton 'O' ring in the kit. I'm assuming the ordinary rubber ones will go south quickly with E10 fuel. What's the best solution here - additives, use E5 and hope to last a little longer?

I'm not a fan of tank sealer unless it's done at the factory so I'm guessing rust is inevitable if I don't seal it. So, will my plastic, hopefully rust catching see-through filter dissolve before my eyes? Does anyone know of a transparent fuel line that it ethanol proof?

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I've searched using E10 but found nothing.

If this is something we have yet to get to the bottom of, could we share lists of perceived problems/fixes to give a little peace of mind?
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Re: E10...

A while back I was wondering if ethanol-free gas was allowed in Merry Olde. According to esso.co.uk the precious juice is for sale in 95+ octane with geographical limitations (scroll down faqs to 'ethanol content).

on running the pure first:
    Is running the old girl on disease-free gaso an option?...... at least for starting off with, then adding eth mix later on to see if any ill effects develop.....and report.
    a.k.a. The cautious approach without being to be too clever about it.
    Last edited by last shovel; 19-01-2021 at 03:56 PM.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

This may be a moot point soon anyway - thanks to Porsche. They are developing a synthetic fuel, tests start next year! It's being developed to keep their old cars on the road so should be okay...
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

E10 doesn't seem to like cork seals. I fitted some new ones to the petrol taps on my BSA over the Christmas hols and they lasted until February before giving up the ghost. I've had to change the taps for a different type entirely as I couldn't find ethanol proof alternatives to the originals
    Region 3, North East, Tyne & Wear