Thread: Rear light wiring

Rear light wiring

Hello all. I have a question. I brought my US bought street glide over to the UK with me. I have to get it compliance checked this summer to register it. As UK motorcycles have to be equipped with amber turn signals in the rear, I bought the following on Ebay to rewire the rear turns. American bikes have red turn/brake lights. I spliced the wiring and everything works, but when I press the brake, the rear turns signals come on. I am scratching my head over this. Does anyone have any insight for me please? Am I missing something? TIA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Turn...edirect=mobile

Re: Rear light wiring

Did the original red turn signals act as brake lights?

A bad earth (ground) can cause very odd effects sometimes.

I suspect you'll just have to trace the wiring/check a wiring diagram to see if the rear brake light switch is connected to the indicators as well as to the rear light.

EDIT: Looking at the eBay pic, it seems as if there should just be three wires, as you'd expect - one for half the red LED cluster (running light), one for the other half of the red LEDs (brake light), and one for the amber LED (turn signal). Is that the case with the original? Did the original have LEDs? I'm sure I've seen a similar problem with an LED conversion somewhere, but I can't remember if it was even on a Harley.
    Last edited by garethr; 24-02-2021 at 02:19 AM.

The original red lights were incandescent bulbs. They were brake, turn and running light all in one bulb, the original wiring was three wires, black for ground, blue for running light and purple for turn signal. I hooked the earth to the black wire and so on. I have led running lights, I traced the wiring to before the tri bar module and hooked to the turn signal wire there thinking the module switched the power for brake/ turn. There is a brake wire coming in, both turn signals, running lights and two grounds coming in before the module. It just has me scratching my head. I might have to run turn signal wiring off of the front signals at the bcm.

Is it possible that the brake light and the turn signal are both provided by the same filament in the original incandescent bulb?

What year and model is your bike?

Newer bikes have a BCM. Older bikes have a converter module.
    Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 26-02-2021 at 06:14 PM.

It is an 18 street glide. I found someone spliced into the front turn signals for the rears to work. That might be my job this weekend lol