Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: TYRES: All you should ever need to know :-)

Total Downloaded
    184.36 MB

Re: New Avon Tyres, excellent

shame contis, metzeler, avon and non harley branded dunlops are all made in europe.

Avon are owned by Cooper tyres of Ohio , but then everyone knows that.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

OrlandoMad Guest

Plenty of excellent feedback on this thread . . thanks very much. I've since done another 100 miles or so on the new Venoms, and I'm absolutely won over by them

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB

Steve

riding smoothly you will get up to 10,000 mls out the back tyre and more out the front, BUT it down to the way you ride!!!

ps. just off for a ride now see you soon

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

grbrown Guest

Re: FXSTC Rear Avon Cobra / Front Venom Tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by banquo View Post
    Pressures are another issue. I'd assumed it would be the same for all, but the recommended Avon pressure for the front was 34psi compared with only 30 psi for the OEM Dunlop. That would suggest to me (but could be completely wrong) a less rigid sidewall on the Venom?
    I had a chat with the Avon chaps at the NEC bike show about bike tyres, especially multiple compound types, that some of the other brands use. The Avon response was that they employ advanced carcass designs to achieve high performance and good wear.

So you may well be right! They are clever chaps and make great tyres. Venoms both ends on my dresser.

Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by banquo View Post
    Pressures are another issue. I'd assumed it would be the same for all, but the recommended Avon pressure for the front was 34psi compared with only 30 psi for the OEM Dunlop. That would suggest to me (but could be completely wrong) a less rigid sidewall on the Venom?
    It's important not to make too many layman's assumptions about tyres.

Before I switched to Venoms a few years ago, I spoke to Avon's bike tyre techie guy and he said simply that in tests the Avon's ran better with a higher front tyre pressure that stock. So, on both my bikes, I run the Avon pressure of 36psi in the front rather than the factory recommended 30 psi.

IMO fitting Avon's is the cheapest and first improvement to make to a Harley, with immediate benefits to safety and rideability. I have no connection with Avon.

grbrown Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
    It's important not to make too many layman's assumptions about tyres.

Before I switched to Venoms a few years ago, I spoke to Avon's bike tyre techie guy and he said simply that in tests the Avon's ran better with a higher front tyre pressure that stock. So, on both my bikes, I run the Avon pressure of 36psi in the front rather than the factory recommended 30 psi.

IMO fitting Avon's is the cheapest and first improvement to make to a Harley, with immediate benefits to safety and rideability. I have no connection with Avon.
    Good advice! Having owned Harleys since the 70s, when they came from the factory on Goodyears, the only sensible option then was Avons. In more recent times I have tried alternative brands, but gone back to them. The difference now is that whereas those earlier Avons were safer than Goodyears (Roadrunners when they were introduced were better), but Venoms are a revelation (properly inflated!). There is no going back! :wink:

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415