Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TYRES: All you should ever need to know :-)

lawnmower Guest

Re: Tyres...does this sound about right?

was a guy on Ebay dave miller motorcycles (preston way) i think selling Avon Venom white walls for about 50 quid each. he didnt have all sizes though especailly the later widths
    he also had some Avon Gangsters i think that we slightly cheaper dont know much about them though but not as good methinks.

i fitted Avons to my last road king but next time i think i will go for Metzlers they seem to last longer and handgling is good too.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    496.85 MB

Dave Milling Motorcycles is in our suppliers section...
    wine [there is the] truth"

Frog Guest

What price keeping it shiny side up?

O.K. you could probably shop around and get cheaper, but if the shop is close to you and you know they do a safe job whats a few quid either way?

SX 200 Guest

Near the Oval , London SE11, FWR.- only doing M/C's- Has to be about the best fitters,- and one of the cheapest,- always packed with motorcycle couriers,- that says a lot about how good they are.
    FWR LTD Britain's Cheapest Tyres!.

Total Downloaded
    496.85 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Whilst on Fobys rideout last Saturday, I made a 15-20 mph right turn on a dry road and my Road King Classic started to slide away from me. I had to stamp my right foot twice on the ground to keep the bike from going down.

Don't take this the wrong way as criticism....

Brian all I can think of is that maybe you went over a plastic bag that had contents inside that could have made any tyre slide, or a drop of diesel?

I also think you could have been riding differently with your daughter on the back? At that speed you should be safe to corner even on bald tyres in the dry, putting your foot down at that speed can be very dangerous when going very slow like around road cones (good practice) you need to keep your fingers on the clutch and tease the bike round.

But WTF do I know....LOL

BTW.....The price you have been quoted is ok. :wink:
    wine [there is the] truth"

Total Downloaded
    67.16 MB

Whatever you do, don't fit Gangster tyres to your model.

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa ® View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way as criticism....

Brian all I can think of is that maybe you went over a plastic bag that had contents inside that could have made any tyre slide, or a drop of diesel?

I also think you could have been riding differently with your daughter on the back? At that speed you should be safe to corner even on bald tyres in the dry, putting your foot down at that speed can be very dangerous when going very slow like around road cones (good practice) you need to keep your fingers on the clutch and tease the bike round.
    We came back up that same road about an hour later and I looked real hard at the spot, there was no reason for my bike to slip. Putting my foot down was wrong I know, but it was an instant reaction to try to avoid going down.
    I've never liked the way my bike handles and I've always read about the Dunlops being crap...it's mostly psycological...in me 'ead I suppose. It amazes me when I see Harley tourers with scraped footboards...I aint got the bottle to lean that much.
    I don't put a maximum value on my life of other peoples, so I'm going with Venoms which other people have always had good things to say about them. Maybe I'll then be able to learn to ride it properly.

Why do H-D still fit Dunlops...they must know no one likes them.

I could have bought 160 quids worth of chrome instead of this.

Thanks for the replies...New Avons in the morning!!!

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by girlyglide View Post
    I appreciate this advice, it's Venoms I'm getting fitted, but why not Gangsters...why not on a Road King. Can you explain why not....it might stop someone else fitting the wrong tyres.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded

I changed my Dunflops to Avon Venoms and there is no comparison. The Dunflops were O.K....ish in the dry but in the wet the inside of my trousers were wetter than the outside, if you get my meaning. Mind you I don't know how long they will last. I reckon 'cos they stick better the rubber must be softer so less miles to the tyre. But I will suffer that. IMHO Dunlops should never be fitted. Go with the Avons...I don't think you will regret it.
    Pat.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by girlyglide View Post
    Phil is right. Gangster Whitewalls are not built for a bike as heavy as a Harley, the sidewalls are too weak & the tread pattern incorrect.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast