Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Oilslick Guest

60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Coming back from Sycamore H-D, overtaking a line of cars, bend ahead so I apply the brakes and ping, front lever hits the grip and some object flew upwards, over my shoulder and into a field.

At this point the bends is coming up fast and I can't just rely on the rear brake so I crank the bike over and round it went. A lot faster than I intended and lost some of the undercarriage but made it.

The object must have been the friction material from one of the pads cause just the backplate is there now.

Anyone else had this happen? (06 FXDBI)

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    412.0 KB

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Shit, :scared2: glad you are ok Oilslick. get on the blower and get the dealers who sold you this to come and take it away for repair. (if you ain't already done that).

Might also want to have a look at the thread about this subject. Was bumped up so should be near this one.
    90' FLHS

Oilslick Guest

Cheers Robbie

I never realised it was that common. Not something you can check for is it.

A bit worrying though. It's the fact that the brakes came on OK then suddenly let go as the pad sailed into the air. Went really high as well. Bike is only 14 months old and 5,500 miles.

Total Downloaded

Glad you're ok to tell the story. Lucky you was wearin' brown trousers mate!

Oilslick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Uggy View Post
    Glad you're ok to tell the story. Lucky you was wearin' brown trousers mate!

Maybe the deal should be:

1 pair of Harley-Davidson brown trousers free with every set of OEM brake pads.:wink: :wink:

Walenut Guest

This is bloody serious and if it is starting to be common should be a subject of a recall by the manufacturer, you could have been killed.

Oilslick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Walenut View Post
    This is bloody serious and if it is starting to be common should be a subject of a recall by the manufacturer, you could have been killed.
    You are right, I was very lucky. Had a vehicle in front done an emergency stop or a car had pulled out of a side road then who knows what would have happened.

After reading the other thread about brake pads coming apart I'm suprised there hasn't been a recall. There again, could I trust OEM pads again. I might go for EBC's.

I'll see what the dealer response is.

Total Downloaded

A very troubling & dangerous trend. With all the bikes we see I have never seen or even heard of it over here. I will call HD tech this week & post back with the result.

Total Downloaded
    10.74 MB

Glad you are in one piece and still kickin'. Not nice when in your hour of need the mechanicals take a break and head South for the Summer, shit happens but it ain't pretty when it does.

At that milage, that ain't good. Glad you are still with us :169B9ADF431545348BC

Total Downloaded

Man that is scary, glad you are ok, I see Phil in that big sunny place does not have the problem, road salt and damp would be my first suspect, but that is just no excuse, they are not fit for purpose and should be recalled.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast