Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Tooty Guest

Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

Scary stuff mate!
    Three points.
    Firstly, we have had several sets of Harley pads fall apart, but as yet, no problems with EBC.
    Secondly, I wouldn't attach any blame to the fact that the bike was ridden in winter. These products SHOULD be able to cope with the harshest conditions possible.
    Thirdly, there is no legal reason why Harley cannot fit EBC or similar pads. The decision to stick with the dodgy pads is theres alone.
    Hopefully Harley will sort this out before someone gets killed!

Tooty

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

No blame attached, just a possible reason.
    There is a bloke, who shall remain nameless works quite high up at HD.
    I spoke to him yesterday about the issue. He is going to check into all brake issue complaints & get back to me. He will be contacting the UK.
    More to follow.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

Give yourself and your families peace of mind.

Buy SBS or EBC pads.

Keep the receipt.

Give all the paperwork to the dealer...including this thread.

There is no way I would permit replacement H-D pads on my bike after reading these stories.

This has never happened to me in 70,000 miles.......

Oilslick Guest

Well, true to his word, the service manager from Sycamore came to my house this evening (50 miles) , changed the pads and did the caddy bolt recall.

The pad backplate had some surface corrosion on it so I'm guessing there was some way moisture had got between the friction material and the backplate or it was manufactured with moisture trapped inside. It's hard for me to say but anyway, it will be sent back to H-D. I'll post any feedback and I'll be interested in what you come up with Phil.

First class service from Sycamore.

Total Downloaded

That bloke I talked about (a fellow Brit) talked to the UK tech rep, who told him that he had only heard of a couple of instances. He would certainly be interested in hearing about more. Over here we are encouraged to report ANY pattern of breakages to the factory. Anyway an investigation file has been opened.

Oilslick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    That bloke I talked about (a fellow Brit) talked to the UK tech rep, who told him that he had only heard of a couple of instances. He would certainly be interested in hearing about more. Over here we are encouraged to report ANY pattern of breakages to the factory. Anyway an investigation file has been opened.
    Cheers for that Phil. I don't know if the pad backplate would be returned to H-D UK or the States but either way, I would be very interested to know what is the cause of the failure. I will post any feedback I receive from the dealership.

Durnik Guest

Unhappy Re: 60mph front brake failure 06 Dyna

I was interested to read this thread, as i had similar problem on 06 Dyna. My front pad fell apart as i was approaching a t junction and i ended up over cooking said junction, speedway style, into the path of a car, who luckily had room and time enough to evade my sudden intrusion.
    I took the issue up with HD UK and was told that they were not aware of a problem, and would/could not do anything about it anyway unless/untill they had enough feedback from technicians.
    My stealer was very helpfull, though as with others, i had hobsons choice over replacements, and when the rears were removed for inspection,they also fell apart. It would seem to be a problem with the bonding process used to secure(sic) the friction material to the back plate,as there was serious corosion between the two.
    When i confronted the MOCO rep with the possibility of some one getting hurt,or worse, he went back to the couldnt/wouldnt story.Make of that what you will.
    Needless to say,my pads get very regular visual inspection now!!
    God forbid that a bolt may come loose though.:9399D3F58B324EE1B68

Oilslick Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    I was interested to read this thread, as i had similar problem on 06 Dyna. My front pad fell apart as i was approaching a t junction and i ended up over cooking said junction, speedway style, into the path of a car, who luckily had room and time enough to evade my sudden intrusion.
    I took the issue up with HD UK and was told that they were not aware of a problem, and would/could not do anything about it anyway unless/untill they had enough feedback from technicians.
    My stealer was very helpfull, though as with others, i had hobsons choice over replacements, and when the rears were removed for inspection,they also fell apart. It would seem to be a problem with the bonding process used to secure(sic) the friction material to the back plate,as there was serious corosion between the two.
    When i confronted the MOCO rep with the possibility of some one getting hurt,or worse, he went back to the couldnt/wouldnt story.Make of that what you will.
    Needless to say,my pads get very regular visual inspection now!!
    God forbid that a bolt may come loose though.:9399D3F58B324EE1B68
    This is scary Durnik. As others have said I should, I am now going to get some EBC's.

It makes the neutral problem look pretty lame in comparison.

What do I need, Kevlar or sintered?

Walenut Guest

I think the sintered double H are about the best performers, might be worth checking that they are OK with the Harley disk.

Durnik Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Oilslick View Post
    This is scary Durnik. As others have said I should, I am now going to get some EBC's.

It makes the neutral problem look pretty lame in comparison.

What do I need, Kevlar or sintered?

Yeah, i reckon ill follow suite when i can, as i have never had any problems with EBC pads, and ive used them for quite some time in all sorts of conditions. Sintered are probably best for us, good performance with decent length of service.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast