Thread: PC111 + Dyno Tune Advice<> Kitech performance kits FAQ

Naros Guest

PC111 + Dyno Tune Advice<> Kitech performance kits FAQ

Hello all,

I've been doing a 'trawl' of old posts regarding stage 1 on EFI Sportys, but still have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

I have a 2007 1200R with V&H slip-ons. I am now considering adding a SE high flow air filter kit and a PC111 + Dyno tune to set it all up.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has actually done these mods: on their Sporty, particularly the dyno tune. What torque/horsepower figures were achieved, and most importantly in real 'on-road' terms how does the bike go? was it worth the effort & expense!

All opinions gratefully received,

Cheers,

Naros.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Re: PC111 + Dyno Tune Advice Please!

I can't answer for the Sporty, but on a heavy Road King, it was very noticeable. The comparison should be the same or better in your case.

Brian
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Naros Guest

Thanks for that Brian, that makes sense. Just got to find a dyno man with some experience of tuning harleys in my area, there's a place called 'Dynospeed Developments' in Chigwell Essex, but i'm not sure whether they are familiar with harleys, must give them a call!

Cheers,

Naros.

Total Downloaded
    1.85 MB

That guy was highly recommended by another member recently, after a bad experience with another dyno shop. His was a TC, but should give confidence for your sporty

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...out-itl-4.html

Good luck.
    Boris

Naros Guest

Kitech performance kits

Home

http://www.kitechperformance.com/cus...5-10718-00.pdf

• General
    • Why do i need a fuel management unit?
      Your motorcycle leaves the factory with an ECM (Electronic Control Module) which is designed to run with all the emissions control equipment fitted to your bike. When you make alterations to your motorcycle engine which can include modified air intake, modified exhaust, cams or a big bore kit. The ECM has no knowledge of the fact that these changes have taken place, so continues to fuel the bike as if it were standard. This causes the engine to run lean, which means that it will run hotter than it should and could potentially cause engine damage.
    • I have been told that i do not need to worry about adding additional fuel as the Oxygen sensors fitted to the bike take care of this.
      The Oxygen sensors on your motorcycle are fitted to control emissions in two ways..
      1. When the engine is at idle.
      2. When the engine is at cruise.

During acceleration the amount of fuel that enters your engine is based on your ECM assuming that your engine is standard, therefore on a modified engine it will run lean.
    • PowerPro (Standard)
    • I have a PowerPro (Standard) fitted to my motorcycle and have changed my exhaust and Intake setup, will i need to re-adjust the Powerpro settings?
      It is not essential to reset up the the PowerPro (Standard) as the default settings cover a wide range of aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket intake setups.
    • I have a PPF-10700 fitted to my Harley-Davidson big twin, If i take the bike to a dyno, what, if any power gains will i get?
      We spend a lot of time tweaking the programs so they run really well straight out of the box using the default settings, the most we have seen is a 7hp gain on a stage 1 with a default PowerPro (Standard) this is a respectable increase over standard models.
    • I have a PPF-10710 PowerPro (Standard) fitted to my 883 Sportster. I want to convert to 1200, will i need to buy a new Powerpro ?
      Absolutely not, just change the settings in the PowerPro (Standard) to match the '883 to 1200 conversion' base settings. These can be found in the user manual.
    • The PowerPro (Standard) runs great on my bike but i have been told i should get it checked on a dyno...
      If you have a stage 1 on your bike and it runs well with the Powerpro (Standard) then there is little point getting it checked on a dyno. If however, you want to squeeze every horsepower out of your engine then the only way is to dyno it. This applies to not only our refuelling unit but to any 'manually' adjustable refuelling system on the market such as V&H fuelpak and Power Commander
    • I have fitted non standard cams to my bike. Will i need to change the settings on my PowerPro (Standard)?
      Yes.
      The PowerPro (Standard) is already set up for basic stage 1 engine conversion (Intake and exhaust) if you change the cams or add any other modification such as a big bore kit you will need to change the settings. Give us a call and we can give you a starting point for the settings to get you going.
    Last edited by BaZa; 21-07-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added pdf file

Naros Guest

Power Commander + Dyno-Update!

Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I posted on this site asking for peoples experiences with fitting a PC111 + dyno tune on their sportsters. After making some enquiries and following a link given by Boris I went up to see Paul Watson at Dynospeed in Chigwell Essex, they are an approved Dynojet tuning centre.

I told Paul what I was trying to achieve (stage 1 tune) and he advised on what was realistically possible. A PC111 was ordered and this weekend I bolted on my S/Eagle air filter kit and went back to Paul and he fitted the PC111 in about 20 minutes and we were ready for the dyno, I was a little apprehensive, would my bike/engine be coming home in a series of carrier bags?

I needn't have worried the whole thing was finished in about an hour. I now had as near perfect fuelling as is possible. Paul explained that on road bikes he doesn't tune for power but for perfect fuelling as experience has proven this gives best results overall. The power graph shows 61.54 hp at the rear wheel, which if you apply the 'rule of thumb' correction factor of + 15% means 70.77 hp at the crank. All very interesting I suppose but I was more interested in how it felt on the road.

Was there a difference? Oh yes! making my way home through the lanes the bike seemed a lot more responsive and crisp even more pleasant to ride than before. However, when I joined the dual carriage way from the slip road I soon realised how much better it really was. Winding on the power from 3000rpm in 3rd by the time I joined the main carriageway and just into 5th I thought I must be doing 80mph+ by now, a glance at the speedo saw the needle sailing past 90mph and still pulling hard, the 'push' just kept on coming!

I do most of my riding between 2500rpm and 4000rpm but it's nice to know there is more on tap, the whole motor seems to rev much more freely than before. The dyno showed that peak power is made at 5500 rpm so it's pointless reving past that point, mostly I won't even be going that far.

If anyone is thinking of going the stage 1 route on their EFI bike then I can definitely recommend Paul at Dynospeed, he's more used to tuning drag bikes but he is begining to see more people with Harleys and classic brits, he certainly seems to know what he's doing!

Cheers,

Naros