Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheels Rusting from inside. Safety Check! And Replacements.

Shifty Guest

Re: Wheels Rusting from inside. Safety Check!

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa ® View Post
    Limey Dave/shifty I changed my buggered wheel to this

A Fatboy real wheel for £90.00 :wink:

Plus a bit of work as you will see.
    Looks good an' all BaZa. Not sure a Fatty wheel'd fit or look right in me Superglide though.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Shifty Guest

Still keeping an eye on ebay for a wheel for the '99 FXDX, but nowt's come up yet.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of this happening with any model other than Road Kings - could I be worrying about nothing?

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why don't you lot give "Devon rim company a call and get a price for Stainless steel rims and spokes, he'll use your old wheel and rebuild it for you, there is no worry when it is used in the winter with all the salt about, once it's done you can forget it!! apart from the odd clean now and again!!

I got both mine done and they look great........

Total Downloaded
    56.86 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Still keeping an eye on ebay for a wheel for the '99 FXDX, but nowt's come up yet.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know of this happening with any model other than Road Kings - could I be worrying about nothing?
    Dave (Ukkid76) quoted £460 a pair for stainless rims,spokes,and labour.That's £230 for one and the route I'd have taken if I'd needed a rim.It was the hub that was fubared on mine,hence the new wheel.
    It would be about £130 cheaper than a new wheel and it won't rust,ever.

Shifty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Limey_Dave View Post
    Dave (Ukkid76) quoted £460 a pair for stainless rims,spokes,and labour.That's £230 for one and the route I'd have taken if I'd needed a rim.It was the hub that was fubared on mine,hence the new wheel.
    It would be about £130 cheaper than a new wheel and it won't rust,ever.
    And that's a bit more than I can afford really, hence all the ebay searching. On my budget, it's got to be 2nd hand or nowt.

I know stainless is the way to go, just don't have the dosh.

Plus, I don't have the facilities to take the wheel out to get it rebuilt so I need to get a wheel then take the bike and the wheel to my (indy) dealer for fitting.
    Last edited by Shifty; 14-09-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Total Downloaded
    44.58 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    does anyone know of this happening with any model other than Road Kings - could I be worrying about nothing?
    Haven't read all the posts Shifty, but it's definitiely not confined only to RKs. My FXST has the same 16" x 3.50" rear wheel, as will a whole raft of other bikes. What size is your rear wheel? If it's a different size, could have come from a completely different source, and may be perfectly OK...

I've stuck a Fatboy cast wheel on the back of mine, but that was a straight swap.

Has anyone had a problem with a wheel that isn't the 16" one???
    Jake Beatson
    Centenary FXST

Shifty Guest

Quote Originally Posted by banquo View Post
    Haven't read all the posts Shifty, but it's definitiely not confined only to RKs. My FXST has the same 16" x 3.50" rear wheel, as will a whole raft of other bikes. What size is your rear wheel? If it's a different size, could have come from a completely different source, and may be perfectly OK...

I've stuck a Fatboy cast wheel on the back of mine, but that was a straight swap.

Has anyone had a problem with a wheel that isn't the 16" one???
    Just checked the tyre size and it's a 130/90 - 16. Not sure if that makes it a 3.50 or what.

Total Downloaded
    44.58 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure mate; mine has a 150 wide, so your rim might be narrower, but does that mean it's OK? Don't know.
    Mt tyre place changed the tyre over from one wheel to another and balanced for a fiver, so it would be cheap enough to check your rime if you can get the wheel off.
    Jake Beatson
    Centenary FXST

Shifty Guest

To be honest mate, I'm going to replace it anyway as soon as I can. Will have to see what finances are like at the end of the month (assuming I'm back on me feet by then - currently recovering from pneumonia, but that's another story) and see if I can run to a brand new wheel, cos there don't seem to be any 2nd-hand ones about at the moment.

Total Downloaded
    44.58 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you get it sorted out OK, but if it was me, I'd be looking at restringing the hub over the winter, assuming hub is in good nick. Good luck with the pneumonia - takes a lot out of you....
    Jake Beatson
    Centenary FXST

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast