Thread: Socket size for brake pad pins and front Caliper retaining bolts

Total Downloaded
    339.94 MB

Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Front Caliper Retaining Bolts

10mm, 12 point yes metric & not Torx, a 12 point 10 mm ring spanner will fit.

PS if you remove the disc retaining torx set screws they are one use only or you will have to clean them up and reapply an appropriate locking compound.
    Last edited by BaZa; 20-12-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: copied and title change

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    8.99 MB

Front Caliper Retaining Bolts.

The new H-D ones should have the locking patch.

I believe Phil in California has explained this before, it's not to do with the tensileisity of the bolt but the locking compound action itself.
    When you screw the said thread in it breaks the surface of the locking patch and starts the chemical reaction which gives the compound its 'locking' effect. Thus one use!

To reuse the item you would/should clean all the old compound off and then apply a suitable similar {i.e. the same resistance and heat resistance as the original} to get the same properties.

I.e. the set screws are not particularly tightened to a high torque, typically 21- 32 Nm {16 -24 ft-lbs} so want a good resistance but you don't want it to gall and pull the thread out when removed.

So in reality probably just a proper clean and the applying a suitable loctite compound would do the job.
    Last edited by BaZa; 20-12-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: copied and title change

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain