Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Finding my lost horsepower and other stuff

Total Downloaded

Re: Finding my lost horsepower and other stuff

The trickiest components would be the two arms of the swing arm, as they would need to 'bend' around the tyre as they project back towards the wheel spindle, particularly on the right hand side. But you cant bend alloy bars that are more than 2 inches thick (well not without a huge amount of heat and a very big press)..

To solve this problem I had to buy an 18 inch long bar of alloy which was 2 1/2 inch square... it wasn't cheap. Next two thirds of it was milled away leaving one end with the required 'bend' or step.

Then the cross parts which join the two halves of the arm together had to be made, a mix of threaded alloy bar and plate. The base piece also holds the shock mounts, which is going to be bolted to its cross beam, this is so that it can be shimmed to give the correct ride height when on the bike..

This is the progress so far.. note that parts which overlap have been machined with a V shaped bevel where they meet. This is where they will be welded together.

I weighed all the pieces, which totalled 20 lb, though many will lose more weight before its finished, so fingers crossed my target of making a replica half the weight of the original looks possible

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Coming right up to date, the slots for the axle adjusters have just been milled and the inside of the two spars have been hollowed out to lose a bit more weight. I quick guestimate shows it should end up weighing less than half the 34lbs of original steel version..

Total Downloaded

Moving on, this one isn't one of my never ending projects, its someone elses... my mates Harley Sportster XL 883 Scrambler. I found the bike for him ages ago, about five years ago. Its been through a few changes over the years.. different seats, exhausts, wheels etc, but now after all that time its very nearly finished.

It should be done by now but as often happens the painter has let him down and the tank and guards are nowhere to be seen.

Its a early 90's 883 Sporty, which has now gained.... a 1250cc Hammer Performance big bore kit, big valve and flowed heads by Fastlane Headworks, USD forks from a GSXR600, with KTech internals, KTech remote reservoir shocks, Metchamex alloy swingarm, a KTM alloy rimmed spoked front wheel and a matching rim laced into a HD hub. Alloy oil tank made to fit in front of the engine, etc etc

Here are some pics..

Total Downloaded

On top of all that, I've still got the Norley which I'll be doing some changes to this year, and the Guzzi and the drag bike, and.... it never ends

Total Downloaded
    20.38 MB

Welcome back, thanks for taking the time to put it all on here. Informative and inspirational stuff .
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded

Here's what the Guzzi looks like now, still a few things to change but it's pretty much done..

Total Downloaded

The paintwork arrived today, for my mates XL1250 project, looks good. I like the how the design on the side panel includes the hole for the ignition barrel. The Hammer and Tongs symbol has been used by the Royal Engineers (REME) for centuries. Tim spent 20 years in the REME, hence the symbol and the name of his workshop.

Total Downloaded

My home made alloy swing arm (which has become a mini project in itself) got welded today. It all went ok with no distortion etc. Still to decide if its getting the under bracing of the original steel version its copied from, and what finish it having. Polished, powder coated or maybe anodised?

Its half the weight of the original (17 Vs 34 lbs), still heavy for a sports bike swing arm, but pretty light for a Harley Softail..

Total Downloaded

Had an interesting morning, weighing the XL1250 and a near standard XL883 yesterday, using the calibrated scales built into the brake testing machine used for MOTs.

Wasn't sure how accurate the method would be, as it tests one wheel at a time, but the numbers we got from the near standard bike were close to its official weight (485lbs for a 1991 XL883).

The XL1250 would be lighter of course, but how much?

It weighed in at 400 lbs with only a little fuel in the tank. Not bad at all. Still hasn't been set up on the dyno due to lack of time, but it sounds ok being run up and down the road.. here it is if you want to hear it..

https://youtu.be/280lEt7YNe4

Total Downloaded

My mates XL1250 finally had its first run on the dyno today. Its running way too rich, and with standard cams and rejetted OE carb, we weren't expecting huge power numbers. Although it was built for low end torque over top end HP in any case.

Despite running rich, it made decent power, with a smooth graph, no sudden dips in HP as the revs climbed. With leaner jetting should make more a bit more HP.

What did it make? You'll have to watch it running on the dyno to find out ..

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728