Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: Finding my lost horsepower and other stuff

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Finding my lost horsepower and other stuff

Got the billet swing arm finished, I added under braces, which took awhile to figure out how to make. The original steel arm used bend tubing which was flattened as it passed under the chain to give clearance. Cant do that with alloy (not easily anyway). So instead I bought some solid alloy bar and line drilled it 3/4 of the way through, using an old Capstan lathe at a mates workshop. That done the end which was left undrilled, ie solid, had a flat machined on it.. the same thickness as the arms flat side pieces.. then they were welded into place.. worked out better than I expected.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The arm ended up weighing 17 lbs just half of the original steel arm. However, I intend to save even more weight by fitting a Lithium Ion battery which will be 12 lbs lighter than the lead acid Yuasa on the bike at the moment.. but that can wait, as its such a pita to remove the arm to change the battery and its holder.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking of weight.. I do have a bee in my bonnet regarding making my bikes as light as possible.. I took the Merch 131 for its MOT last week, and while there weighed it on the scales which are used as part of checking the brakes. Its checked quarterly by a man from the DVLA so I know it accurate. Bit disappointing to find it weighed 251g.. 552 lbs.. thought it would be lighter, but then I'd just filled the tank, which would add another 20lbs or so in petrol. Hope to lose another 30lb with the alloy swingarm and Li-Ion battery, but still some way from my target of sub 500lbs.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While my long running Norley project now has a new wiring loom and switchgear using an M-Unit from MotoGadget.. cleans up the wiring a huge amount. It also got its new livery this month.. went for classic Black and gold.. However, I dare not try to start the engine yet, due to having a broken oil pressure sender. I have a replacement to hand, but I just cant get the old one off the bike.. and I have tried. Not helped by the frame being slightly different and making access more difficult than on a standard bike. Its also gained new one off foot levers, running on sealed bearings and a mesh filter for the carb velocity stack, wont do much but should keep out the odd passing bee..

Total Downloaded
    39.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That is absolutely stunning.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    20.67 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for posting this stuff here.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had lots of frustrating problems with the bike recently, mainly electrical. Its needed a new starter motor, a leaking hydraulic clutch slave cylinder and with those fixed it still wouldn't fire up. Eventually I traced the problem to a HT lead which was tracking. A simple fix I should've found it earlier.

Smoked a bit when it finally fired up, probably due to the oil I poured down the bores sometime ago.

Sounds pretty good with its reverse megaphone 'silencers' …. You can here it start for the first time in years here..

https://youtu.be/_eKwRJiZ534?t=644

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent - well done!
    Time out of mind