Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fork oil....again

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Fork oil....again

Sorry about this, but I've done a search and checked my factory manual and can't find the answer.

What weight is the oil in my 2003 RKC front forks as installed at the factory.

I want to go a bit thicker and I'm not sure what the factory put in to start with.

After banging a big dent in my front mudguard, I checked to see just how high the mudguard came up. Where I put my horn, it was so high up (see my other thread), that for the mudguard to hit it must mean that the forks bottomed out....and easily.

There's no leaks, and I've never taken any oil out, so what's in there is what the factory put in, and it's clearly inadequate. Any ideas how much I'll notice it if I go up a grade or two. What grade oil do you use on your RK front end and are happy with it.

I ride solo most of the time and I don't hit bumps on purpose, but I has to be stiffened up a bit......the guard almost touches the top of the down tubes without much effort when you put the brake on hard. (I had someone stand at the roadside and I did a full on front brake at 30 mph when I was level with them). I did notice a long time ago that everytime I've taken it up to or above 90mph that the bike is nodding it's head quite badly at that speed, which would indicate bad damping. I just got used to that, and I ignored it until now.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    339.94 MB

Re: Fork oil....again

LOL....Brian what did you search for? I put in fork oil weights... :439:

HD type E has worked well for 72 k changed twice. Should be every 20k

amount 328cc. Try a couple of extra cc's.

Doesn't say on the H-D bottle what weight it is but chopper has gone up to 20w on his FLHR

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...-oil-flhs.html

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...l-weights.html

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...ont-forks.html
    Last edited by BaZa; 13-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    wine [there is the] truth"

Total Downloaded
    30.93 MB

I pretty sure 15w is stock, i went with 20w before i did the cartridge inserts this winter and it was better IMO

Total Downloaded
    56.86 MB

I would think your oil is well past it's sell by date now.
    You can't even be sure you had the correct amount in there from new.
    If your manual specs 99884-80 type E,there is a SE Heavy Duty version 99881-87.

It's meant for racing,so mind how you go.

Total Downloaded
    30.49 MB

Fork Oil - 16oz. Type E 5wt. Type E is for "Showa" forks.Part # 99884-80

Fork Oil - 16oz. Type B 10w. Fork Oil - See owners manual for recommended style. Part # 99880-73

Screamin’ Eagle® Performance Fork Oil - A heavier oil (15wt) provides extra damping in performance application. Part # 99881-87 . Works well to take the dive out of the front end on breaking.

Screamin’ Eagle® Racing Fork Oil - Designed and blended for the severe conditions on the race track (20wt). Not intended for street use.
    Part # 99909-93R
    Sudbury, Suffolk

"If you aren't crashing, you aren't trying hard enough" Some racer from opp north

Sir Thomas Beecham is reported to have said to a female cellist who was having a particularly poor rehearsal, "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!"

Total Downloaded
    11.24 MB

If its any help I had standard 10wt fork oil in my nightrain forks and changed to the Squacky Pigeon performance stuff which is 15wt. and as Baff said it works better and reduces front end dive under heavy breaking

If that aint enough you can add a wee bit extra cc's
    Region 2 rep.South Scotland
    "Let the good times roll"

Total Downloaded
    30.49 MB

Since I upgraded my fork oil last week, my horn hasn't touched my mudguard once. :wink:
    Sudbury, Suffolk

"If you aren't crashing, you aren't trying hard enough" Some racer from opp north

Sir Thomas Beecham is reported to have said to a female cellist who was having a particularly poor rehearsal, "Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!"

Total Downloaded
    12.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baff View Post
    Since I upgraded my fork oil last week, my horn hasn't touched my mudguard once. :wink:
    It will if you fit a cooling fan :wink:
    What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Re: Fork oil....again. UPDATE

An Update

I drained the oil from both legs. There is supposed to be 328ml in each leg. I carefully measured what I got out, and in the left leg, I got 130ml out. In the right leg, I got less than 50ml.

I began to wonder if there was oil trapped inside that hadn't run out, so out came the fork legs, and I left them draining upside down all night. Just black silvery oil was all that was in there.

I flushed the legs through with new oil, drained them again and refitted them to the bike. Then put in 330ml of synthetic 15 weight fork oil in each leg. It's all back together now, but I've developed a clonking noise from one of the legs when I bounce it with the brake on. It hasn't been road tested because it's pissing down here today. It certainly feels firmer on the front end now.

So, it looks like next Winter, it's going to have a fork upgrade, probably Progressive cartridges.....is there ever an end to this upgrading the inferior parts that they fit at the factory...and where is quality control.

Whoever originally put the oil in my forks at the factory just didn't give a shit.

The bikes done less than 8,000 from new and never had a leak, so it's obvious the oil was never put in to begin with.

Brian.
    Last edited by Mr B; 17-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded
    56.86 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Limey_Dave View Post
    I would think your oil is well past it's sell by date now.
    You can't even be sure you had the correct amount in there from new.
    If your manual specs 99884-80 type E,there is a SE Heavy Duty version 99881-87.

It's meant for racing,so mind how you go.
    I rest my case.:wink:

As to the clonking,if it's doing it now,and it wasn't before,something has changed since you had it apart.
    I'd check that everything was setled and aligned before it was tightened up,and that it's a fork clonk,not a caliper clonk.
    Last edited by Limey_Dave; 17-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast