Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fork oil....again

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Re: Fork oil....again

Quote Originally Posted by Limey_Dave View Post
    I rest my case.:wink:

As to the clonking,if it's doing it now,and it wasn't before,something has changed since you had it apart.
    I'd check that everything was setled and aligned before it was tightened up,and that it's a fork clonk,not a caliper clonk.

238-330 ml is a big jump.
    Dave, I made a typing error, which has been corrected now. It should have 328ml in each leg. I've put 330ml in each leg.

The clonk was a caliper knocking as you suggested....cheers mate. A suspension upgrade is still on the cards though. That black silvery oil will always be in my mind now. I'll never get round to upgrading the engine at this rate :wink:. I suppose safety has to come first before more hp.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    56.86 MB

Glad it's sorted Brian,and now we go our seperate ways.
    I may replace my forks one day,but not till I've worn these ones out.

Total Downloaded
    30.93 MB

Re: Fork oil....again. UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    An Update

So, it looks like next Winter, it's going to have a fork upgrade, probably Progressive cartridges.....is there ever an end to this upgrading the inferior parts that they fit at the factory...and where is quality control.

Brian.
    Highly recommend them Brian, I was never very happy with the front end on mine even after changing to 2006 legs and brakes and heavier oil, i tried three different weights, then bought the cartridge inserts after a bit of research late last year and put them in my RK this winter and so far i have nothing but good praise for them, I bought the lowered version which allows 1 or inches of drop, ive gone down 2", and the bike now has a very responsive front end, almost non existent brake dive with decent re-bound and proper damping! the small amount of 5w fork oil the forks now have in them is used for lube only!

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

UPDATE

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on this, and especially my mate Baff.

I've been out on it today for the first time since I put 15W fork oil in.....what a difference. The front end feels very firm on the road. I'm well pleased with it. No bouncing at all, and very positive steering. My new front floating discs work well too.

I might not upgrade to fork cartridges now....it feels better than I've ever known it....we'll see how I feel later on.

The bike has developed a slight misfire sometimes....not all the time, at low speed. This might be due to it being left for 6 months without any use. Maybe I just need to go out and wring it's neck to clear all the cobwebs out. Whatever it is, I'll find it and fix it.

Roll on all the things I've got planned for this year with Anglia and anyone else that'll have me. I'm like a kid with a new toy at the moment .

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded

I put in stiffer single rate springs more appropriate for my weight and riding style along with some slightly modded Ricor Intiminators.

Total Downloaded
    270.4 KB

I put in stiffer single rate springs more appropriate for my weight and riding style along with some slightly modded Ricor Intiminators
    Yup, I found that set up transformed the forks on my Sportster. My only caveat is that you don't need to mod the Intiminators if you use Silkolene pro RSF 2.5W oil. It has a similar viscosity to the recommended oil but double the VI and hence works much better in our colder climate.
    Last edited by Four Speed; 28-07-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Total Downloaded

Never been happy with the bouncy front end so mine were drained and 20w added.

Great cheap fix IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12